What the *&$% is Unprom?

Each year our homeschooling group creates an event that is a combo platter of costume ball/carnival/potluck. The Unprom is what we have called it for as long as I can remember. Each year we are motivated by a theme that challenges us to create decorations, music, costumes, food, and games. Several weeks of preparation culminate in an afternoon and evening of community in celebration.

The event originated out of a desire to fill what we (the original group of fledgling homeschoolers that all started this journey of homeschooling about the same time) thought might be gaps in our children's experience resume. As really newbie homeschoolers we pondered whether our kids might pine for things to discuss when their schooled friends conversed about their own "milestones" of youth.

At the time 2 of my own kids were young teens. I had been questioned by schooled relatives about deficits in their social experiences & I didn't have the lead sneakers that I now wear to keep me grounded when I discuss homeschooling with the schooled world. In trying to travel a new path with a very limited map I often found myself reaching for the familiar to guide me. Replicating the status quo with a twist seemed like a good place to start.

With the 2 oldest kids in our small group of secular homeschoolers I started pushing for some of the "milestones" that I thought might help them traverse the social gaps that I had been told that a life of homeschooling would present for my kids. One that always makes the Top 5 list is What about Prom?

Since 2 teens doesn't make for the perfect Prom (especially since they were siblings) we agreed that an all ages event would be the next best thing. We could increase the numbers, fill up a dance floor, and have more than one plate of cookies from which to choose. Thus the first Unprom was born and the void of Prom would be filled by the Unprom.

I realize now that I pushed for the first Unprom due to a fear of lack. Would this choice about our children's education leave them with deficits that they will view as a burden? And though it was conceived for one reason, it has been cherished and continues for completely different ones. The process of building something together that can be celebrated as a community is an experience that will be remembered for a lifetime. After 18 years of homeschooling and 10 Unproms, one thing has become very clear to me, our kids have plenty to talk about when the conversation turns to milestones.