Day one - 2011

So today was the first "official" day of Unprom prep for the 2011 event. We have gathered a couple of times prior to today but we were just stretching our creative muscles; like a marathoner running to the mailbox 3 weeks before any real endurance is needed.

I got the reminder about prep out later than I had planned. I just returned from 2.5 weeks in the deep woods of Oregon basking in the glory of limited technology. I returned last Wednesday at Midnight and the ludite in me came crashing back to my real life like an Apollo capsule dropping into the ocean with only 2 of the 3 shutes open. It took several days before I could come back into the house and another before I could face email. I want to make all sorts of sincere apologies for not getting the reminder out sooner but I am trying to be less apologetic for being me. Sorry about that :)

First day attendance was low... okay it was non-existent until 4:00 when Cheryl arrived with Mieke and Derek. I was so happy to see them because they distracted me from the small panic attack that I was having about the slow/no start on the first day of prep.

Cheryl and I had some much needed time to catch up. It had been almost 10 weeks since seeing each other and I felt lucky to have her all to myself. We caught up on life, knitting, LEARN business, and my ramblings about this year's Unprom plans. Mieke and Hawkin hung out with/on the horses. Derek busied himself with a creature of another sort. It was a Dr. Seuss meets Dr. Doolittle kind of an activity.

The first day was a great success. Not much got done for the Unprom but much was discussed. The presence of such a friend reminds me that the importance of community always outweighs the demands of the To Do list.

Oh yeah... and Derek and I made this movie: